Subject: Re: [bug#51538] First Patch Submit Ever: Additions to the Cookbook Documentation

From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 18:18:50 +0100

Disseminate, thank you for your work.

On Mon, Nov 08, 2021 at 01:48:39PM +0000, Disseminate Dissent wrote:
> Thanks for the comments Florian,
> 
> Added periods and removed whitespace.
> 
> In my initial Guix setup I was unable to clear the terminal with
> neither `clear` nor C-l. Installing ncurses solved that issue and is
> listed as a dependency for GNU Readline.

Bash always enables readline as far as I can see.  Perhaps you used a
system that disabled C-l in the ~/.inputrc file, which would also
disable it for a Guix-installed bash?  Some Slackware users complain
about non-working C-l on stackoverflow.  Anyway I will leave this
patch for experienced guix commiters to decide; IMHO the clear command
should not be needed with Guix and the cookbook so far contains only
what can be done with Guix itself.  Even though I like the idea of a
FAQ section and am happy about new Guix contributors such as you.

As for the patch:

On Mon, Nov 08, 2021 at 01:50:20PM +0000, Disseminate Dissent via Guix-patches via wrote:
> Corrected missing periods and whitespace.
>

You have not addressed this latter passive Added instead of Add:

On Mon, Nov 08, 2021 at 10:29:00AM +0100, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) wrote:
> For the commit message, Guix uses the active voice “Add a FAQ section
> with …”.
> 
> 
> > * doc/guix-cookbook.texi: Added FAQ section.
> 
> Here too.

Then:

On Mon, Nov 08, 2021 at 01:50:20PM +0000, Disseminate Dissent via Guix-patches via wrote:
>  @menu
>  * Scheme tutorials::            Meet your new favorite language!
> -* Packaging::                   Packaging tutorials
> -* System Configuration::        Customizing the GNU System
> +* Packaging::                   Packaging tutorials.
> +* System Configuration::        Customizing the GNU System.
>  * Advanced package management:: Power to the users!
> -* Environment management::      Control environment
> +* Environment management::      Control environment.
> +* FAQ::                         Commonly asked questions.

Your commit should only add the period to your sentence; other
sentences should remain untouched (fixing them belongs in a separate
commit).  I should fix such things myself in other commits; probably I
won’t do it.

Other than that, it is a nicely written patch.

It seems the issue when running the commands from
`info "(guix)Building from Git"` is that the other menu

> +@menu
> +* How do I clear my terminal screen?
> +@end menu

does not contain double colons followed by a sentence like the other
@menu.

Regards,
Florian