Subject: Re: bug#51497: 29.0.50; (vc-print-log) broken over TRAMP

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 14:48:37 +0200

[email-masked] writes:

> Hi. I'm using emacs built from git. I'm observing that it's no longer
> possible to "C-x v l" when looking at version-controlled files over
> TRAMP. This is a regression. "git bisect" tells me that the breaking
> commit is this:

[...]

> 1. emacs -Q /ssh:some_server:some_file
>    where the remote file is in a git repo
>
> 2. C-x v l
>    I should see the git log, but instead I get this in the *Messages*:
>
>    vc-deduce-fileset-1: File is not under version control

I'm unable to reproduce this on the current trunk.

I tried:

C-x C-f /ssh:stories:/home/larsi/src/emacs/trunk/etc/NEWS RET
C-x v l

and I got the vc-change-log buffer.

I did see something similar a few weeks ago, but it went away after I
said "make bootstrap" (so it's either a problem that shows up only
sometimes or it's a genuine build thing).  Can you try "make bootstrap"
to see whether that has any effect?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no