Subject: bug#51497: 29.0.50; (vc-print-log) broken over TRAMP

From: Andy Moreton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 23:03:24 +0000

On Sun 07 Nov 2021, Dmitry Gutov wrote:

> On 07.11.2021 01:11, Andy Moreton wrote:
>> That workaround is still needed for me. Without that, nothing in vc-git
>> works in my environment (64bit minw64 build on win10, using cygwin bash
>> and git together with cygwin-mount.el from emacs wiki).
>
> Does that environment also have an old version of Git? Or is there another
> reason why it's broken?

I have git 2.33 in cygwin and MSYS2, so git is not old. I'll look at
this again now that the changes have stablised.

>> While I realise my setup is somewhat non-standard, other users may also
>> find that the literal pathspec code also misbehaves.
>
> I would like to fix it for all users, but debugging would fall on your
> shoulders, I'm afraid.

My note was more to warn that adding this to emacs-28 may bring
problems.

Looking at this again, Trying "C-x v l" for INSTALL in the repo master
branch gives (rewrapped for clarity):

  fatal: :(literal)c:/emacs/git/emacs/master/nt/INSTALL:
  'c:/emacs/git/emacs/master/nt/INSTALL' is outside repository at
  '/c/emacs/git/emacs/master'

This appears to be due to the translation between win32 and cygwin
(posix) filenames.

    AndyM