Subject: Re: bug#51497: 29.0.50; (vc-print-log) broken over TRAMP

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 21:52:53 +0200

> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
>  [email-masked]
> From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 22:44:55 +0300
> 
> > I'm a bit worried by the function relying on the fact that
> > default-directory is the directory of the repository.  Wouldn't it be
> > better to explicitly let-bind it inside the function?
> 
> We could, but notice how most of vc-git-* functions don't bind 
> default-directory, thus relying on its implicit value. It just how VC 
> works: expecting default-directory to have the right value around the calls.

How certain are you that default-directory has the right value?
Because if it doesn't, AFAIU all the connection-specific stuff will
fall apart.

> > A (perhaps safer) alternative for emacs-28 would be not to use
> > :(literal) for remote repositories.  What are the disadvantages of
> > that?
> 
> That would mean leaving bug#39452 unfixed on remote hosts.

Only for files with wildcard characters in their names.  How
frequently does that happen?  Also, it will be only unsolved in Emacs
28.