Subject: 29.0.50; (vc-print-log) broken over TRAMP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 18:24:55 -0700

Hi. I'm using emacs built from git. I'm observing that it's no longer
possible to "C-x v l" when looking at version-controlled files over
TRAMP. This is a regression. "git bisect" tells me that the breaking
commit is this:

  3572613550f5d1d0b3392dbc809b32f3989e2981 is the first bad commit
  commit 3572613550f5d1d0b3392dbc809b32f3989e2981
  Author: Wolfgang Scherer <[email-masked]>
  Date:   Sun Aug 15 04:02:23 2021 +0300

      Fix vc-git-state for filenames with wildcards

      * lisp/vc/vc-git.el: (vc-git--literal-pathspec-inner),
      (vc-git--literal-pathspec), (vc-git--literal-pathspecs) new functions
      to add ":(literal)" pathspec magic (bug#39452).

      (vc-git-registered), (vc-git-state), (vc-git-dir-status-goto-stage),
      (vc-git-register), (vc-git-unregister), (vc-git-checkin),
      (vc-git-find-revision), (vc-git-checkout), (vc-git-revert),
      (vc-git-conflicted-files), (vc-git-print-log), (vc-git-diff),
      (vc-git-previous-revision), (vc-git-next-revision),
      (vc-git-delete-file), (vc-git-rename-file) functions
      vc-git--literal-pathspec, vc-git--literal-pathspecs applied.

   lisp/vc/vc-git.el | 63 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++------------------------
   1 file changed, 36 insertions(+), 27 deletions(-)

Recipe to reproduce:

1. emacs -Q /ssh:some_server:some_file
   where the remote file is in a git repo

2. C-x v l
   I should see the git log, but instead I get this in the *Messages*:

   vc-deduce-fileset-1: File is not under version control

"C-x v L" still works

Thanks.