Subject: 24.3; Text jumping/flashing with upgrade to RHEL 7.9

From: "Davis, Malcolm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 17:20:50 +0000

We just recently upgraded to RedHat Enterprise Linux 7.9 which comes
with emacs 24.3.1.  The screen is not redrawing itself correctly.  For
example, text that should get cleared is not necessarily going away when
changing buffers or scrolling.  Then at times portions of the screen
will redraw spontaneously causing will redraw spontaneously,
repositioning text and then putting it back again, resulting in massive
flashing.  For what it is worth we are using KDE as our window manager.
If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Thanks,
Malcolm Davis

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30)
 of 2019-11-01 on x86-vm-21.build.eng.bos.redhat.com
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12004000
System Description: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation release 7.9 (Maipo)

Configured using:
 `configure '--build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu'
 '--host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu' '--program-prefix='
 '--disable-dependency-tracking' '--prefix=/usr' '--exec-prefix=/usr'
 '--bindir=/usr/bin' '--sbindir=/usr/sbin' '--sysconfdir=/etc'
 '--datadir=/usr/share' '--includedir=/usr/include'
 '--libdir=/usr/lib64' '--libexecdir=/usr/libexec'
 '--localstatedir=/var' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib'
 '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--with-dbus'
 '--with-gif' '--with-jpeg' '--with-png' '--with-rsvg' '--with-tiff'
 '--with-xft' '--with-xpm' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--with-gpm=no'
 'build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu'
 'host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g
 -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions
 -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4
 -grecord-gcc-switches -m64 -mtune=generic' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro ''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: C
  value of $LANG: en_US
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Shell

Minor modes in effect:
  show-paren-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement>
<mouse-1> <f12> l s <return> C-l <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1>
C-l <escape> < C-x C-f s r c / U G <tab> p l <tab>
s c <tab> <return> C-x C-f d e <tab> <return> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> C-x C-f <backspace> <return> C-x C-v ~ <return>
C-l C-l C-l C-l C-l C-l <escape> > <prior> <prior>
C-l C-l C-l C-l <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> C-g C-g C-l C-x C-c C-g <f12> <escape>
> C-d <down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> <mouse-1> C-g
C-g <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> M-x r e p o r t - e m
a c s - b u g <return>

Recent messages:
Loading /ap/emacs/site-lisp/python-outline.el (source)...done
Loading `python-mode': old-style backquotes detected!
Local value of py-indent-offset set to 4
Using the CPython shell
Loading vc-git...done
Mark set
Quit [2 times]
(No files need saving)
Quit
Mark set
Quit [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
/ap/emacs/site-lisp/default hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/default

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message cl-macs gv rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils vc-git imenu
noutline outline easy-mmode python-mode easymenu cl dired jka-compr
uniquify warnings paren delsel cus-start cus-load edmacro kmacro
preview-latex tramp tramp-compat auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cconv gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache
tramp-loaddefs shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring format-spec advice
help-fns cl-lib advice-preload tex-site auto-loads time-date tooltip
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)
________________________________
This message (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary, privileged and/or private information. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual or entity designated above. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender immediately, and delete the message and any attachments. Any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other use of this message or any attachments by an individual or entity other than the intended recipient is prohibited.