Subject: bug#51475: read-char-choice should hide the cursor

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 13:36:13 +0200

Daniel Martín <[email-masked]> writes:

> Isearch for example doesn't show the cursor after the colon until after
> the cursor can do something useful (ie. you press M-e to edit the search
> string).  By the same reasoning, I think that read-char-choice should
> always hide the cursor.

read-char-choice is a generalisation (sort of) of `y-or-n-p', which does
show the cursor.  (And I checked with 25.1 -- it shows the cursor there,
too.)

So if we're going to make things consistent, then we'd have to start
showing a fake cursor in the echo area for commands like `C-s' and
`C-x', too.

But...  I don't feel very enthusiastic about the idea.

> I'd prefer if we decide if the cursor is always visible or invisible.
> Adding variables or parameters for this would add complexity to Emacs
> for a, IMO, small matter.  If there's no agreement, I think leaving
> things as is is preferably, but that's just my opinion.

Yeah, probably.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no