Subject: bug#51475: read-char-choice should hide the cursor

From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 08:48:00 +0000

>
> Transient does the same, and I always found that to be a very natural 
> interface.
>
> The same thing if you just press "C-x" and wait a second.
>

These two examples do not use a minibuffer, they use the echo area.

>> I'd prefer if we decide if the cursor is always visible or invisible.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> If there's no agreement, I think leaving things as is is
>
> I agree with both of these ideas, so that we can keep the Emacs 
> interface a tiny bit more consistent.
>

FWIW, I strongly disagree with the "always" idea.  There are cases where 
seeing a cursor is perhaps not important and perhaps undesirable, but 
there are many cases where seeing visually that the selected window has 
changed and that the active cursor has moved to the minibuffer is 
important, such as when you press C-x C-c with a non-saved file-visiting 
buffer, and/or when you (fset 'yes-or-no-p 'y-or-n-p).