Subject: Re: bug#51475: read-char-choice should hide the cursor

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 18:24:54 -0700

Daniel Martín <[email-masked]> writes:

> Isearch for example doesn't show the cursor after the colon until after
> the cursor can do something useful (ie. you press M-e to edit the search
> string).  By the same reasoning, I think that read-char-choice should
> always hide the cursor.

Transient does the same, and I always found that to be a very natural
interface.

The same thing if you just press "C-x" and wait a second.

At the very least these examples demonstrate that it's fine not to show
a cursor.

> I'd prefer if we decide if the cursor is always visible or
> invisible.
[...]
> If there's no agreement, I think leaving things as is is

I agree with both of these ideas, so that we can keep the Emacs
interface a tiny bit more consistent.

Otherwise it will be down to the preference of individual package
authors, who will pick one or the other on a whim or individual fancy.