Subject: bug#51473: [PATCH] Enable xwidget scrolling optimizations, and other xwidgets improvements

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2021 15:34:23 +0800

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Sounds good...
>
>> Someone with access to a Mac will have to do the changes necessary for
>> xwidget scrolling to work correctly on macOS, as they don't work on
>> GNUstep in the first place.
>
> Does this mean that these patches will break the Macos build?

I tried my best to keep it working, but the scroll optimization will not
function there.

> I'm not really that familiar with how xwidget works, so er does this
> mean that the events work less with your patch than before?

Yes, but I fixed that, and defined a new facility for sending events to
xwidgets from Lisp code in a few other changes.  Should I squash them or
send the new commits as individual patches?  Thanks.

> I'm unable to test this at all, because:

> ** (emacs:2173922): ERROR **: 00:09:01.997: GApplication is required for xdg-desktop-portal access in the WebKit sandbox.
> Fatal error 5: Trace/breakpoint trap

> This is on Debian/bookwork.  (And without your patch, just building with
> xwidget and `M-x xwidget-webkit-browse-url RET fsf.org RET', and Emacs
> crashes.)  

This is probably the same WebKitGtk bug that also happens on Fedora.
Can you tell me the version of your WebKitGtk package and GLib?

If you can't upgrade/downgrade, continually retrying could help.