Subject: Re: [bug#51471] [PATCH] gnu: Add geth-binary.

From: Guillaume Le Vaillant <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 08:51:20 +0000

Attila Lendvai <[email-masked]> skribis:

> It downloads, verifies, and patches the official binary release of the
> go-ethereum client using patchelf.
>
> * gnu/packages/geth-binary.scm (geth-binary): New variable.
> ---
>
> dear fellow Guix hackers,
>
> RFC: would Guix accept a package like this? if yes, then i welcome any
> feedback, this is my first binary package. i welcome also pointers to
> other packages from which i should mimic something.
>
> this is only lightly tested for now, but before i tidy everything up,
> i wanted to know whether such a beast would ever be accepted.

Hi,

The official Guix repository can only include free software built from
sources. For a package definition downloading a binary, you have to use
a custom channel [1].

[1] https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Channels