Subject: reftex-ref-style-alist in amsmath.el

From: Gustavo Barros <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 17:17:27 -0300

Hi All,

`reftex-vars.el' defines the user option `reftex-ref-style-alist' and 
includes the "AMSmath" style among the default ones, the same as with 
other package specific reference commands.  The activation of each of 
these entries is controlled by `LaTeX-reftex-ref-style-auto-activate'. 
And users can set `reftex-ref-style-alist' so that they choose which 
styles may potentially get activated, according to loaded packages in 
the style files.

However, `amsmath.el' goes a little further and adds (again) the 
"AMSmath" ref style to `reftex-ref-style-alist'.  Hence, if an user had 
removed it from the variable, the style file overrides that 
customization, and the only way to disable this ref style, while keeping 
`LaTeX-reftex-ref-style-auto-activate' to `t', is to add an empty 
"AMSmath" ref style instead.

But doesn't this re-adding of the ref style in `amsmath.el' defeat the 
purpose of the interplay between `reftex-ref-style-alist' and 
`LaTeX-reftex-ref-style-auto-activate'?  As far as I can tell, 
`amsmath.el' is the only style file from the ones included by default in 
`reftex-ref-style-alist' which does this.  I'd expect it not to do it.

Best regards,
Gustavo.