Subject: Re: bug#5146: Malayalam conjuncts are not formed inside 'call editor' buffer of po-mode

From: Praveen A <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 17:08:38 +0530

2009/12/10 Kenichi Handa <[email-masked]>:
> the rendering problem disappears except for that a little
> bit smaller glyphs are shown compared with the case when you
> use the other fonts (e.g. rachana).  How about you?

Meera has a different Ascent and Descent values compared to other
fonts. Meera has ascent and descent as 1147, 901. Rachana has it as
1638, 410. This is to accommodate the characteristics of Malayalam
script. And this change results in smaller sizes compared to other
fonts. The fontconfig rule was added to offset small size for Meera
compared to other fonts.

Pango/GTK applications understand the scaling directives and scales up
Meera font properly. The ideal solution is to have m17n/emacs
implement fontconfig scaling feature.

Thanks
Praveen

-- 
പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
<GPLv2> I know my rights; I want my phone call!
<DRM> What use is a phone call, if you are unable to speak?
(as seen on /.)
Join The DRM Elimination Crew Now!
http://fci.wikia.com/wiki/Anti-DRM-Campaign