Subject: Re: bug#51440: [PATCH 00/10] Declarative static networking interface

From: Vivien Kraus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 00:32:08 +0100

Le samedi 11 décembre 2021 à 22:39 +0100, Ludovic Courtès a écrit :
> > > Any other issues left?
> > 
> > I have a couple:
> > - I get an extra IPv6 (inet6 xxxx/64 scope global dynamic
> > mngtmpaddr
> > valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever) that I did not ask for and
> > that takes precedence as a source for the default route, which
> > defeats
> > the purpose. I’m not sure it’s guile-netlink’s fault.
> 
> Hmm, what’s that IPv6 address?  

So now I’m back to the DHCP setting.

I configured the DHCP server on my router to give anyone 2 IPv6
addresses: one that I configure with a static lease, and another one.
On the luci interface of my router, I see that the default mode for the
DHCP server is "stateful + stateless", which I guess translates to the
two addresses I get on the client machine. In fact, this is the
default, so I didn’t especially chose it that way.

If I keep the analogy, the "stateless" IP looks a lot like the
problematic IP I get in the static configuration.

I switch my DHCP server configuration to "stateful only", and now I
only have the static lease on the DHCP client configuration.

Let’s go back to the static networking configuration.

And now, the parasitic IP address is gone.

So, I guess there are 3 explanations:
1. That IP was committed to disk when I was running the DHCP
configuration, and got activated by default when I switched to the new
static configuration;
2. What guix considers a static client configuration talks to what
librecmc calls the DHCPv6 server and decides whether it’s OK to assign
a stateless IP depending on what the server says;
3. Some network stuff happens way above my understanding.

Anyway, I consider that problem solved for me.

Now I switch back to the DHCP configuration, otherwise the SMTP server
won’t start and I can’t send this email…

Vivien