Subject: Re: bug#51427: [PATCH] nix: libstore: Do not remove unused links when deleting specific items.

From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 06:26:47 +0200

Hi,

Am Montag, dem 12.06.2023 um 13:55 -0700 schrieb Felix Lechner:
> Hi,
> 
> > Liliana, is your hard disk old or low-end?
> 
> Some of my equipment is very old (2011). I think Liliana's issue is
> elsewhere. Maybe it's a problem with the DMA setup or with a shared
> interrupt. (Dmesg might help.) Liliana, have you tried removing that
> rebellious graphics card?
I have removed the entire machine, or more specifically, I have given
them away to a family member, who now uses it as an office machine and
thus has lighter loads.  As far as I'm aware, the graphics card is
still acting up from kernel to kernel – last time we had one where it
would freeze up after ~5 minutes of "work".

> A good place to start when looking at hard drive speeds is the read
> performance with
> 
>   hdparm -Tt /dev/sdX
> 
> I would further look at the tuning parameters of the file system. I
> would also try a different internal data cable. (It would be the
> connector that has issues.)
My /gnu/store now lives on an SSD hopefully fast enough to not
needlessly slow down garbage collections.  My /home still lives on the
old HDD, but since the only paths to the store in there are symbolic
links, I doubt it makes a difference.

Cheers