Subject: Re: bug#51426: 29.0.50; [PATCH] Should 'comint-term-environment' be connection-aware?

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 10:21:14 +0200

Jim Porter <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Jim,

> Sure, that seems like a good idea. I expanded the example in the
> section on "Per-Connection Local Variables" to show setting
> `system-uses-terminfo'. Hopefully this will point people in the right
> direction, and make it more apparent that
> `connection-local-set-profiles' lets you set multiple profiles for a
> connection, not just one. (That's documented in the Emacs Lisp manual,
> but I think it would be helpful to show it in the Emacs manual as
> well.)

Thanks. However, you don't show the second setting,
comint-terminfo-terminal. Is it obvious to the reader that this shall be
changed as well?

> Perhaps it would make sense to mention this in the Tramp manual too,
> such as under the section "Running shell on a remote host". On the
> other hand, setting `system-uses-terminfo' connection-locally only
> applies to Emacs 29+, so it might make that section more confusing to
> include it there. People might expect it to work on older versions of
> Emacs as well.

I believe we can leave it as it is. There are other connection-local
variables, understood by Tramp, and not mentioned in the Tramp manual.

Best regards, Michael.