Subject: bug#51405: Set default font on Windows to Consolas-11

From: Howard Melman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 10:08:06 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> AFAICT, Consolas still supports fewer Unicode blocks that
> Courier new, even on Windows 10.

I don't use either so I'm not proposing one or the other but
I was curious about this.  According to wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consolas

Although Consolas is designed as a replacement for Courier
New, only 713 glyphs were initially available, as compared
to Courier New (2.90)'s 1318 glyphs. In version 5.22
(included with Windows 7), support for Greek Extended,
Combining Diacritical Marks For Symbols, Number Forms,
Arrows, Box Drawing, and Geometric Shapes was added. In
version 5.32 the total number of supported glyphs was
2735. In version 7.00 (as part of Windows 10 1909) there are
3030 glyphs in total.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courier_(typeface)#Courier_New

Versions from 2.76 onward include Hebrew and Arabic glyphs,
with most of the Arabic characters added on non-italic
fonts. The styling of Arabic glyphs is similar to those
found in Times New Roman but adjusted for monospace. The
Courier New version 5.00 includes over 3100 glyphs, covering
over 2700 characters per font.

Is there some place that actually lists the unicode block
support for each font?

-- 

Howard