Subject: bug#51398: 29.0.50; Rcirc displaying wrong order on messages

From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 15:03:56 +0000

Benjamín Buccianti <[email-masked]> writes:

> On messages with the same hour and minutes, it shows recent ones
> previous to older ones, when it should be the opposite.   Example:
> 17:37 <technomancy> everyone should be taught applescript in school
> 17:37 <technomancy> so that we can be sure not to repeat the terrible
> mistakes of history
> 17:37 *** roto JOIN
> 17:37 *** TOPIC Current stable is 27.2 | "If that's Emacs, I love
> it. If not, I cannot wait to unpack that with ya." -- Ted Lasso |
> EmacsConf 2021 CFP now open!
>
> Those technomancy messages wasn't there when I entered #emacs on libera,
> also take a look at how my JOIN show after, it doesn't makes sense.

Can you still confirm that this issue exists?  Emacs 28 orders messages
using the IRCv3 "server-time" extension[0].  I cannot say if this is an
issue with the ordering or just the metadata the messages were sent
with.  A `rcirc-when' command was also added a while back that prints
the message time in greater detail.  Perhaps that could help you analyse
the situation.

[0] https://ircv3.net/specs/extensions/server-time

-- 
	Philip Kaludercic