Subject: bug#51390: 29.0.50; repeat-mode: Fails to repeat keys in global-map(?)

From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2021 02:47:49 +0100 (CET)

Hi Juri,

17 Nov 2021, 01:48 by [email-masked]:
>>I think implementing this will actually end up making certain repeat-maps
>>tedious to use.  One example that comes to mind is
>>`outline-navigation-repeat-map' where it is quite easy to misfire f/b
>>when you actually want n/p.  Starting the map again with C-c @ C-n is
>>quite tedious.  I hope you reconsider this, or make the current
>>behaviour opt-in.
>
>Please clarify how can you misfire f/b when you intended n/p.
>What keys does your keymap contain?

>From M-x describe-repeat-maps,

‘outline-navigation-repeat-map’ keymap is repeatable by these commands:
‘outline-backward-same-level’ (f)
‘outline-forward-same-level’ (b)
‘outline-next-visible-heading’ (n)
‘outline-previous-visible-heading’ (p)
‘outline-up-heading’ (u)

When you do not know the structure of the outline headings beforehand,
it can so happen that you press f/b anticipating that there's a heading
on the same level but that might not be case.  If f/b `error's, then you
have to press n/p to continue navigating.  This is what I meant by
"misfiring."

If repeat-mode decides to end the repeating sequence, I'd have to start
again with C-c @ C-n.  IMO, this isn't a friendly interface.

>>Although triggering repeat-map on error is strange for the scenario in
>>OP, I hope the above convinces you regardless.  I only noticed the
>>behaviour on error is desirable after I started using the outline functions
>>a bit more.
>
>Triggering repeat-map on error is a bug that will be fixed.
>But it will be fixed in such a way that the error will exit
>the repeating sequence.

My point is that sometimes it is desirable to not end the sequence on
`error'.