Subject: bug#51386: 29.0.50; fido-vertical-mode: ssh host completion

From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 11:39:00 +0000

>
> flex aside, does this completion work with the 'substring' completion 
> style, for example?
>

It depends what you mean by "work" ;-)

1. Without my patch:

1.1. With (substring) alone:

/ TAB lists all Tramp methods and all directories in the root directory

/ ss TAB is completed and offers the ssh: sshfs: sshx: methods

/ ssh: TAB displays "Sole completion", and it's not possible to complete 
hostnames (with or without a first char)

1.2. With (substring basic):

/ TAB lists all Tramp methods and all directories in the root directory

/ ss TAB is completed and offers the ssh: sshfs: sshx: methods

/ ssh: TAB displays "Sole completion", but after typing one more char you 
get the list of hostnames which start with that char

2. With my patch:

2.1. With (substring) alone, nothing works, Tramp methods and hostnames 
are not recognized, which is at least coherent with what the manual says: 
"User name and host name completion is activated only, if file name 
completion has one of the styles 'basic', 'emacs21', or 'emacs22'".

2.2. With (substring basic):

/ TAB lists all directories in the root directory

/ ss TAB is completed and offers the ssh: sshfs: sshx: methods

/ ssh: TAB displays the list of hostnames