Subject: bug#51386: 29.0.50; fido-vertical-mode: ssh host completion

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 13:35:50 +0200

Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Gregory,

>> That looks a little silly: flex should match anywhere where basic
>> matches.
>
> Perhaps it should, but it doesn't, especially when the completion
> provider tries to be smart.  See:
>
> emacs -Q -l tramp --eval "(setq completion-styles '(flex))"
> C-x C-f /ssh: TAB
>
> emacs -Q -l tramp --eval "(setq completion-styles '(basic))"
> C-x C-f /ssh: TAB

Agreed. Should be fixed first.

And this is what the Tramp manual says. I've grepped the archives, and
it seems I've added this sentence after a discussion in the thread
starting at <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2019-10/msg00129.html>.
There's an interesting contribution from Stefan Monnier, but all what he
has said is out of my scope. I don't know what to do with completion
styles.

Best regards, Michael.