Subject: bug#51386: 29.0.50; fido-vertical-mode: ssh host completion

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 13:10:52 +0200

Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Grepor,

>> If I do instead
>>
>> emacs -Q -l tramp --eval "(setq completion-styles '(basic flex))" -f
>> fido-vertical-mode
>>
>> it doesn't work. Debugging of fido-vertical-mode is needed, I suppose.
>>
>
> This has already been done, as Manuel suggested the solution would be
> to add a fallback in icomplete--fido-mode-setup, which amounts to
> doing (set completion-styles '(flex basic)).

Yep. However, even if I apply this patch to icomplete.el and also your
Tramp patch it doesn't complete method names like "/ss TAB". So this
cannot be the proper solution I believe.

And, beside of fido-vertical-mode, your Tramp patch hides the method
names at all. If I try

emacs -Q -l tramp --eval "(setq completion-styles '(flex basic))"

and apply then 'C-x C-f /ss TAB', it offers only the candidate '/sys/',
and nothing else. W/o your patch, there are the candidates

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Possible completions are:
sshfs: 	ssh:
sshx: 	sys/
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Anyway, all our tests are mood. I would really appreciate if a
completion style author could chime in, and could investigate. I don't
say that there isn't an error in Tramp, but before I accept patches I
must understand what's up. And the proposed patch doesn't fix all cases
sufficiently (plus it violates the API, but this we have discussed
already in several rounds).

Best regards, Michael.