Subject: Re: bug#51386: 29.0.50; fido-vertical-mode: ssh host completion

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 20:12:02 +0200

Manuel Uberti via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of
text editors" <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Manuel,

>>> Can this bug be closed from your POV?
>> Not unless there is a documented way to work around this problem
>> with fido-mode, IMO. The used should be told to customize
>> completion-styles properly, I guess, provided it customization does
>> not get overridden by icomplete--fido-mode-setup.
>> 
>
> "used" was "user" and "it customization" was "its customization". Sorry about that.

The Tramp manual says

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
User name and host name completion is activated only, if file name
completion has one of the styles ‘basic’, ‘emacs21’, or ‘emacs22’.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Furthermore, it mentions the problem of typing at least the first letter
of a host or user name in a footnote, see (info "(tramp) File name completion-Footnote-1")

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
   (1) Some completion styles, like ‘substring’ or ‘flex’, require to
type at least one character after the trailing ‘:’.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Granted, this is very short. Proposals for better wording in the Tramp
manual are welcome.

Bonus point, if somebody who knows completion styles by heart could fix
this annoyance. Then we don't need to document it.

Best regards, Michael.