Subject: bug#51381: HEIF image format support

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 18:25:18 +0200

Alan Third <[email-masked]> writes:

> When you say MacPorts do you actually mean the Emacs Mac port by
> Yamamoto Mitsuharu? I'm not sure he'd care much for working on the NS
> port, but you can always ask.

Yes, that's that what/who I was thinking of...  Macports is something
else, come to think of it.  :-)

> FWIW NSImage (on macOS) is already capable of loading an heic file, if
> we just point it to it. I thought all we needed to do is add heic to
> ns_can_use_native_image_api in nsimage.m and then load an image with
> the type of "heic" or whatever, but it doesn't work and I'm not sure
> what else I need to do. Probably define heic as a type elsewhere.
>
> But aside from all of that, is heic supported on a Free OS yet?

Yes, imagemagick supports it, so (via image-convert and the external
commands) Emacs can display heic on Debian, for instance.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no