Subject: Re: bug#51381: HEIF image format support

From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 17:13:17 +0100

On Wed, Oct 27, 2021 at 03:06:14PM +0200, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Alan Third <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Yeah, but we need to teach Emacs about the image format. I'm not sure
> > how to do that. I once tried to teach it to load PDFs using *step
> > functionality and failed miserably. This is the same.
> 
> Is there any chance we can entice the MacPorts people to fix this in
> mainline Emacs?  (I'm just wildly assuming that this works there,
> without having actually had a peek.)

When you say MacPorts do you actually mean the Emacs Mac port by
Yamamoto Mitsuharu? I'm not sure he'd care much for working on the NS
port, but you can always ask.

FWIW NSImage (on macOS) is already capable of loading an heic file, if
we just point it to it. I thought all we needed to do is add heic to
ns_can_use_native_image_api in nsimage.m and then load an image with
the type of "heic" or whatever, but it doesn't work and I'm not sure
what else I need to do. Probably define heic as a type elsewhere.

But aside from all of that, is heic supported on a Free OS yet?

-- 
Alan Third