Subject: bug#51381: HEIF image format support

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 17:22:20 +0200

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> Apple seems to have moved over to use the HEIF image format.  It seems
> like Canon is also trying to push this for their cameras, and it is
> being presented as a "JPEG replacement".
>
> Whatever we think of that, this means that many unsuspecting Emacs will
> soon be faced with such images.

Probably mostly Apple users, and has already been noted, Emacs on Macos
already understands all image formats that the OS supports.

> Should Emacs have built-in support for the HEIC image format?  Would it
> be welcome if someone wrote up a patch for it?

I think it's too niche to warrant adding full-fledged support for it,
but image-convert.el supports it (if the external utilities do).  I've
now added .heic to auto-mode-alist so that this should work
automatically.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no