Subject: 28.0.50; [PATCH] Make list-colors-display sorting support general

From: dalanicolai <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 11:35:47 +0200

Motivation for this patch is that I would like to use the following code
snippet in https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/sketch-mode.html.

```
(let ((list-colors-sort 'hsv))
  (list-colors-display (mapcar #'car shr-color-html-colors-alist)
                       nil))
```

The snippet passes colors form the shr-color-html-colors-alist variable
to list-colors-display. However, currently, despite the docstring
suggesting to me something different, the list-colors-display function
only applies its sort functionality if no list is passes as argument.
I don't see a good reason for that limitation, because the limitation is
set using a when condition, while the sort function works perfectly fine
with custom color-lists (e.g. try the snippet above).

So this patch simply removes the (when (null list)) condition, and
passes the list, if given, to the sort functionality.
Adapting the docstring is not necessary as it already suggests that the
sort functionality works in general.

With this patch, I can offer a great sorted color selection menu,
providing only colors supported by SVG.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.30,
cairo version 1.17.4)
 of 2021-09-06 built on daniel-fedora
Repository revision: c4724add006e62b81f847937db56335a81bdcc74
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: Fedora 34 (Workstation Edition)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-mailutils --with-cairo --with-modules --with-pgtk
 --with-native-compilation'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map text-property-search time-date
subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 67179 6847)
 (symbols 48 6625 0)
 (strings 32 19309 1709)
 (string-bytes 1 660631)
 (vectors 16 13095)
 (vector-slots 8 260900 12229)
 (floats 8 22 32)
 (intervals 56 225 0)
 (buffers 992 11))
diff --git a/lisp/facemenu.el b/lisp/facemenu.el
index 7417bb1203..d4d6975061 100644
--- a/lisp/facemenu.el
+++ b/lisp/facemenu.el
@@ -542,8 +542,7 @@ list-colors-display
 colors that the current display can handle.  Customize
 `list-colors-sort' to change the order in which colors are shown.
 Type \\<help-mode-map>\\[revert-buffer] after customizing \
-`list-colors-sort' to redisplay colors in
-the new order.
+`list-colors-sort' to redisplay colors in the new order.
 
 If the optional argument BUFFER-NAME is nil, it defaults to \"*Colors*\".
 
@@ -551,8 +550,8 @@ list-colors-display
 function to call each time the user types RET or clicks on a
 color.  The function should accept a single argument, the color name."
   (interactive)
-  (when (and (null list) (> (display-color-cells) 0))
-    (setq list (list-colors-duplicates (defined-colors)))
+  (when (> (display-color-cells) 0)
+    (setq list (list-colors-duplicates (or list (defined-colors))))
     (when list-colors-sort
       ;; Schwartzian transform with `(color key1 key2 key3 ...)'.
       (setq list (mapcar