Subject: intermittent dbus-test04-register-method failure

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 05:04:52 -0400

Package: emacs
Version: 28.0.60
Severity: minor

I do a daily build of the emacs-28 branch (before merging it to master).
3 of the past 4 days, dbus-test04-register-method has failed.
This failure is not repeatable. This is on CentOS 8.4.

(In general, I find the Emacs test suite continues to be frustratingly
unstable. Yesterday there was a non-repeatable files-tests failure.
So 4/4 days when make check failed non-repeatably.)

Running 16 tests (2021-10-24 01:51:00-0700, selector `(not (or (tag :expensive-test) (tag :unstable) (tag :nativecomp)))')
   passed   1/16  dbus-test00-availability-session (0.006923 sec)
   passed   2/16  dbus-test00-availability-system (0.009815 sec)
dbus[304869]: arguments to dbus_message_iter_append_basic() were incorrect, assertion "signature_validity == DBUS_VALID" failed in file ../../dbus/dbus-message.c line 2772.
This is normally a bug in some application using the D-Bus library.

   passed   3/16  dbus-test01-basic-types (0.000554 sec)
   passed   4/16  dbus-test01-compound-types (0.000304 sec)
   passed   5/16  dbus-test01-type-conversion (0.000184 sec)
   passed   6/16  dbus-test02-register-service-own-bus (0.473175 sec)
   passed   7/16  dbus-test02-register-service-session (0.016950 sec)
  skipped   8/16  dbus-test02-register-service-system (0.001274 sec)
   passed   9/16  dbus-test03-peer-interface (0.116033 sec)
Test dbus-test04-register-method backtrace:
  signal(ert-test-failed (((should (equal (should-error (dbus-call-met
  ert-fail(((should (equal (should-error (dbus-call-method :session db
  #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode -0x7a1d5334197ebdd>)()
  ert--run-test-internal(#s(ert--test-execution-info :test #s(ert-test
  ert-run-test(#s(ert-test :name dbus-test04-register-method :document
  ert-run-or-rerun-test(#s(ert--stats :selector ... :tests ... :test-m
  ert-run-tests((not (or (tag :expensive-test) (tag :unstable) (tag :n
  ert-run-tests-batch((not (or (tag :expensive-test) (tag :unstable) (
  ert-run-tests-batch-and-exit((not (or (tag :expensive-test) (tag :un
  eval((ert-run-tests-batch-and-exit '(not (or (tag :expensive-test) (
  command-line-1(("-L" ":." "-l" "ert" "-l" "lisp/net/dbus-tests" "--e
  command-line()
  normal-top-level()
Test dbus-test04-register-method condition:
    (ert-test-failed
     ((should
       (equal
	(should-error ...)
	`...))
      :form
      (equal
       (dbus-error "D-Bus signal" "foo" "bar" "baz")
       (dbus-error "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Failed" "D-Bus error: \"D-Bus signal\", \"foo\", \"bar\", \"baz\""))
      :value nil :explanation
      (proper-lists-of-different-length 5 3
					(dbus-error "D-Bus signal" "foo" "bar" "baz")
					(dbus-error "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Failed" "D-Bus error: \"D-Bus signal\", \"foo\", \"bar\", \"baz\"")
					first-mismatch-at 1)))
   FAILED  10/16  dbus-test04-register-method (0.028452 sec)
   passed  11/16  dbus-test05-register-signal (0.219088 sec)
   passed  12/16  dbus-test06-property-types (0.368912 sec)
   passed  13/16  dbus-test06-register-property (0.107013 sec)
   passed  14/16  dbus-test06-register-property-emits-signal (0.136756 sec)
   passed  15/16  dbus-test06-register-property-several-paths (0.038262 sec)
   passed  16/16  dbus-test07-introspection (0.213032 sec)

Ran 16 tests, 14 results as expected, 1 unexpected, 1 skipped (2021-10-24 01:51:02-0700, 1.923455 sec)

1 unexpected results:
   FAILED  dbus-test04-register-method

1 skipped results:
  SKIPPED  dbus-test02-register-service-system