Subject: Re: bug#51361: 28.0.60; NS toolbar icons are too big and low res

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 19:18:04 +0800

Alan Third <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'm not sure what you mean.
>
> Emacs only supplies lores icons. GTK scales up the size of the toolbar
> according to the scale settings. Therefore GTK Emacs will have lores
> icons that are scaled up by the scaling factor in its toolbar.
>
> This is identical to how cocoa and GNUstep handle it.

> The exception is where GTK uses other, non-emacs, icons, which is
> quite common.

Yes, I'm aware of that.  I made sure to clear x-gtk-stock-map and
x-gtk-stock-cache before reaching these conclusions.

What I was saying is that, to my eyes, the way GTK scales these icons
results in less cognitive "blur" than the icons posted in the screenshot
attached by the OP, which seems to implicate Cocoa performing some kind
of "smoothing" operation on the scaled icon.

Or perhaps this could be an effect of viewing the OP's screenshot,
presumably taken on a high-resolution display, on my ordinary FHD
display.

Thanks.