Subject: Re: bug#51361: 28.0.60; NS toolbar icons are too big and low res

From: Carlos Pita <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 22:35:18 -0300

Hi Alan,

> I'm not keen to have things show up at different sizes when displayed
> on retina vs not on retina.

Fair enough.

> Unfortunately that means finding icons that are suitable, and I
> suspect for the NS port it may not be super-straightforward to
> handle them in the toolbar. I'd have to investigate.

Now that rsvg support is built by default, svg seems to be the sensible
choice. Although maybe the icons in the toolbar are rendered natively
and emacs svg support is not even required? Good svg icons are a dime a
dozen (but replacing every icon in emacs doesn't strike me as the most
exciting task...). Both NS and Wayland still do a raster downscaling at
the end for fractional scales, so no solution will be pixel-perfect in
such cases, neither svg nor double resolution pixmaps, but with svg you
won't be having the same problem in a few years and, for platforms that
do support direct rendering at non-integer scales (maybe Windows, I
don't know), svg is a natural choice.

Best regards,
Carlos