Subject: bug#5136: Request to update vhdl-mode and verilog-mode

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2009 20:40:05 -0500

>> > Hello there,
>> >   > The following modes bundled in emacs-23.1-13.fc12.i686 are very
>> >   > old compared to the lastest upstream releases.
>> >   > vhdl-mode
>> > http://www.iis.ee.ethz.ch/~zimmi/emacs/vhdl-mode.html
>> Reto can you please send a patch + ChangeLog for the changes?
> Unfortunately vhdl-mode in the repository and my version have diverged
> again.  The main reason is that I have to keep my version compatible
> with older Emacs releases as well as with XEmacs, so I wasn't able to
> apply all changes done in the repository version.  It would be
> a non-trivial task to merge the versions again.

I'd guess that emacs-devel people (those responsiable for the changes
in Emacs-CVS) can help you do that.  Can you send us a "diff3 -A" merged
version of the file, so we can help you resolve the conflicts?

Of course, a better approach would be to keep the official release
directly in the Emacs-CVS, so merge problems have to be handled earlier,
when they're easier to address.

        Stefan