Subject: 26.3; Recursively copy a directory into a destination where directory already exists no longer works.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 19:24:44 +0200

In dired-mode when pressing 'C' on a directory to copy it somewhere, it
now only works in case the directory doesn't already exist. Otherwise it fails
with file-already-exists error.
Overwrite mode or not doesn't seem to make any difference.

It seems there's a change in copy-directory where make-directory used to
be called with parents hardcoded to 't'. Now it's not and it thereby
fails.

This used to work in emacs 24.5

In GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2019-08-29 built on CIRROCUMULUS
Repository revision: 96dd0196c28bc36779584e47fffcca433c9309cd
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.19042
Recent messages:
Loading .emacs_emacs...
Loading .emacs_tags...done
Loading .emacs_emacs...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Error during redisplay: (eval (replace-regexp-in-string "%" "%%" (or (gethash (selected-window) which-func-table) which-func-unknown))) signaled (wrong-type-argument arrayp nil) [5 times]
Mark set
Error during redisplay: (eval (replace-regexp-in-string "%" "%%" (or (gethash (selected-window) which-func-table) which-func-unknown))) signaled (wrong-type-argument arrayp nil) [9 times]
Making completion list...
Error during redisplay: (eval (replace-regexp-in-string "%" "%%" (or (gethash (selected-window) which-func-table) which-func-unknown))) signaled (wrong-type-argument arrayp nil) [2 times]
user-error: Beginning of history; no preceding item

Configured using:
 'configure --without-dbus --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
 --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-O2 -static -g3''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS THREADS LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  which-function-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: 1
  line-number-mode: 1
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
c:/Users/Owner/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/magit-20210922.2141/magit-section-pkg hides c:/Users/Owner/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/magit-section-20210829.1849/magit-section-pkg
c:/Users/Owner/Desktop/emacs-26.3-x86_64/share/emacs/26.3/lisp/emacs-lisp/tq hides ~/emacs/tq
c:/Users/Owner/Desktop/emacs-26.3-x86_64/share/emacs/26.3/lisp/ffap hides ~/emacs/ffap

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa
derived epg gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils add-log elec-pair
edmacro kmacro whitespace which-func paren ediff-merg ediff-wind
ediff-diff ediff-mult ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util ediff etags xref
project delsel ffap erlang-start powershell executable json-mode
json-reformat subr-x json-snatcher js sgml-mode dom imenu thingatpt
cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine
cc-vars cc-defs hideshow python tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat
tramp-loaddefs trampver ucs-normalize shell pcomplete parse-time
format-spec json map term ehelp ipa finder-inf rx info package easymenu
epg-config url-handlers url-parse auth-source eieio eieio-core
eieio-loaddefs password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cconv compile comint ansi-color ring dired dired-loaddefs
benchmark-init advice cl-seq cl-macs gv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
benchmark-init-loaddefs server time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32
ls-lisp disp-table term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads w32notify w32
lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 435868 15416)
 (symbols 48 35658 1)
 (miscs 40 168 203)
 (strings 32 110257 1870)
 (string-bytes 1 3078403)
 (vectors 16 54217)
 (vector-slots 8 969607 18556)
 (floats 8 185 136)
 (intervals 56 501 41)
 (buffers 992 14))