Subject: bug#5135: [gnu.org #565169] Deniz Dogan EMACS Assignment

From: Ryan Yeske <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 09:01:44 -0700

Deniz Dogan <[email-masked]> writes:

> 2010/6/3 Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>:
>> If most IRC clients sort nicknames this way, it may not be necessary to
>> create a new option `rcirc-sort-nicknames'.  We should just perform the
>> sorting automatically.  What do you think?  (I don't know enough about
>> "typical" IRC behavior to say).
>>
>
> I'm all for making this option the default - I see no reason why
> people would not want to sort the nicknames. Pretty much every IRC
> client used today sorts the nicknames like this. I just figured maybe
> some people get annoyed by the (almost infinitely small) overhead it
> takes to perform the actual sorting. rcirc users like to keep it
> minimalistic I have found.

I have no issue with the overhead if it is truly minimal.  I never saw
any reason to sort the list of nicks.  They are sorted in "server order"
which I think shows how long everyone has been in the channel relative
to eachother.

I like to keep the number of configurable options down to a minimum, so
I'm happy to make this sorting the default, and remove
`rcirc-sort-nicknames'.

Ryan