Subject: bug#5135: [gnu.org #565169] Deniz Dogan EMACS Assignment

From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 10:56:32 -0400

Deniz Dogan <[email-masked]> writes:

> This patch adds the user option to sort nickname listings in the way
> that many other IRC clients sort them.
>
> Details:
> * Added rcirc-nickname<, a function which acts like string< but for
> IRC nicknames, making  <at>  less than + and comparing case-insensitively.
> * Added rcirc-sort-nicknames-join, a function which takes a string of
> IRC nicknames and a separator, sorts the nicknames and returns the
> result.
> * Added rcirc-sort-nicknames, a customizable variable which when
> non-nil will make rcirc sort any NAMES responses. nil by default.
> * Changed rcirc-handler-366 (RPL_ENDOFNAMES) to respect rcirc-sort-nicknames.

If most IRC clients sort nicknames this way, it may not be necessary to
create a new option `rcirc-sort-nicknames'.  We should just perform the
sorting automatically.  What do you think?  (I don't know enough about
"typical" IRC behavior to say).

Also, your docstrings need work.  Please read the Documentation node in
the Elisp manual:

     When you write a documentation string, make the first line a
     complete sentence (or two complete sentences) since some
     commands, such as `apropos', show only the first line of a
     multi-line documentation string.