Subject: Re: 29.0.50; remove non-CAPs from rcirc capability list

From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 10:05:03 +0000

"J.P." <[email-masked]> writes:

> Severity: minor
>
> Hi Philip,
>
> Nice job on the v3 stuff. I happened across a couple capabilities being
> requested that don't officially exist, a distinction you've probably
> picked up on in the course of pursuing this work [1]. The couple that
> slipped by are always NAK'd but basically harmless, so you may just want
> to leave 'em or otherwise go your own way. If so, please ignore this.

I have to be honest, I was not familiar with this distinction.  As you
say, I assuming that anything that wasn't implemented by a server would
be NAK'd.

What confuses me is how standard-replies doesn't have to be requested.
message-ids is clear, because they rely on message-tags and if a that is
provided, sending message IDs even if they were not requested wouldn't
pose any issues.  The thing is that standard-replies introduces new
types, that the client must be able to parse.  Just sending them to any
non IRCv3-capable client would presumable confuse it.  From reading the
spec, I don't immediately see that it says the capability should be
requested.  Could you explain this?

-- 
	Philip Kaludercic