Subject: bug#51336: 29.0.50; Application not responding

From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 10:19:09 +0100

On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 07:13:34PM +0200, Kirill A. Korinsky via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors wrote:
> 
> Here a tricky bug, and probably is related #50641 and I never seems this
> behaviour before fix for #50534.
> 
> When I have open emacs one another virtual screen, it has openned magit
> status buffer, and I've make a click and hold on emacs's icon on desk =>
> it shows "Application not responding" (see screenshot).
> 
> 
> 
> Not always, but ofthen enough.
> 
> When I switch to actual virtual screen which has emacs => it responses
> well.

This sounds like Emacs is being put in "app nap" mode by the OS and
therefore the NS run loop is suspended.

Either that or magit is somehow preventing Emacs from running the run
loop, but that would prevent you from being able to do anything at
all, so seems unlikely.

I can't replicate it and I don't have much in the way of suggestions.
Perhaps stick an NSLog message in ns_select and see if it continues to
be called when Emacs is "not responding".
-- 
Alan Third