Subject: Re: bug#51335: 29.0.50; Use warnings facility for reporting Gnus errors

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2022 12:53:39 -0800

On 09/13/22 16:45 PM, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>> Continuing a more piecemeal approach to this, here's a patch to change
>>> the mail source error behavior. I'm floating it for review because it
>>> involves removing a user-facing option. If this goes in, should that
>>> removal be mentioned in NEWS?
>>
>> Looks OK to me.  And, yes, it should be mentioned in NEWS.
>
> This was more than half a year ago -- was there any progress here?

Gah... how did this get bogged down? I think I was originally trying to
abuse warnings.el as a general logging library, and eventually realized
that that simply wasn't going to work, and that sort of took the wind
out of my sails. But the patch here is probably a fine idea no matter
what.

I know you had more general concerns about the verbosity of Gnus'
message output, and that should still be addressed at some point, but my
head is very much out of this particular problem space. I guess I'd like
to apply this patch and close this bug, and come back to the problem
later, with a different solution.

WDYT?

Eric