Subject: Re: bug#51335: 29.0.50; Use warnings facility for reporting Gnus errors

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2021 14:40:12 +0100

Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Well that's mostly because I've turned `gnus-verbose' up to 10, and also
> introduced an option `gnus-log-all-messages' which doubles
> `gnus-message' output to the logging buffer. That is nil by default, but
> I've set it to t here, so this is absolutely as loud as the logging
> could possibly be.

🙀

> If we adopt something like this, I think it would be worth doing a bit
> of shuffling regarding which messages are sent through `gnus-error' and
> which through `gnus-message'. Probably I'd introduce a `gnus-log'
> function, have `gnus-error' call that, and replace some `gnus-message'
> calls with `gnus-log'.
>
> Ideally there would be no reason to have the option
> `gnus-log-all-messages' at all, and the "Sorting threads..." messages
> would only ever be messages.

This reminds me -- I've been wondering whether we should basically drop
all of those ... very verbose messaging thingies and use
`with-delayed-message' instead everywhere.  That is, even with my low
verbosity message, this is what I'm getting when I hit `g':

Checking new news...
nnimap quimby.gnus.org splitting mail...done
nnimap read 0k from quimby.gnus.org
Reading active file from mltest via nnml...
Reading incoming mail from file... [2 times]
nnml: Reading incoming mail (no new mail)...done
Reading active file from mltest via nnml...done
Reading active file from archive via nnfolder...done
Reading active file from archive via nnfolder...done
Reading active file via nndraft...done
Reading active file via nnmbox...done
Checking new news...done

Except the nnimap one, all the rest are instantaneous and just flash
past me.  But we output them because we don't know whether a backend is
slow or not.  With `with-delayed-message' we could avoid all the
"Reading active" messages altogether in a normal setup, but they would
appear if the backend was slow.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no