Subject: bug#51335: 29.0.50; Use warnings facility for reporting Gnus errors

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 14:17:37 -0700

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I will suppress the urge
>> to apologize for my *Group* buffer appearance, I'm in the middle of some
>> home improvements.
>
> 😋
>
>> Lastly, the messages coming from Gnus are very much set up for regular
>> message display, in particular the "<message>...done" pattern, which
>> doesn't work with the warnings setup.
>
> I'm having a bit of a problem with imagining the use case for that bit.
> I don't think any users will ever want to look at a log/warning buffer
> containing "Sorting threads..." etc -- it looks like a debugging tool
> that's should be totally internal and not involve *Warnings* at all.
>
> I don't think any other packages do anything like that with their
> logging facilities.

Well that's mostly because I've turned `gnus-verbose' up to 10, and also
introduced an option `gnus-log-all-messages' which doubles
`gnus-message' output to the logging buffer. That is nil by default, but
I've set it to t here, so this is absolutely as loud as the logging
could possibly be.

If we adopt something like this, I think it would be worth doing a bit
of shuffling regarding which messages are sent through `gnus-error' and
which through `gnus-message'. Probably I'd introduce a `gnus-log'
function, have `gnus-error' call that, and replace some `gnus-message'
calls with `gnus-log'.

Ideally there would be no reason to have the option
`gnus-log-all-messages' at all, and the "Sorting threads..." messages
would only ever be messages.