Subject: Re: bug#51327: 28.0.60; emacsclient warns about XDG_RUNTIME_DIR when starting daemon on-demand

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2021 14:56:47 -0800

On 12/8/2021 1:56 PM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
> That's not an acceptable solution, because it will break the existing
> workflow of users. Furthermore, it will make users jump through hoops to
> achieve functionality which was the default in previous versions.
> 
> So, can we please think about a better solution, and not knee-jerk
> something half-baked into Emacs 28, like checking for yet another
> environment variable?
> 
> Even reverting to the Emacs 27 behaviour would be better than what has
> been suggested above: In Emacs 27, you can set EMACS_SOCKET_NAME to make
> things work. There's no advantage in introducing yet another variable,
> which would only complicate things.

Given the goal to release Emacs 28.1 soon, I'm not sure there's time to 
come up with (and be confident in) a better solution for 28. In that 
case, I guess the available options are:

* If the security issue is considered minor enough, keep the current 
Emacs 28 behavior and silence the warning.

* Otherwise, revert to the Emacs 27 behavior and come up with a better 
solution for Emacs 29.