Subject: Re: bug#51321: 29.0.50; date in modelines

From: Daniel Martín <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2021 23:17:15 +0100

Alan Third <[email-masked]> writes:

>
> I know almost nothing about the locale, but from reading the man pages
> I can't understand why we need to set LC_ALL when we're already
> setting LANG. Isn't LANG the fallback if LC_ALL isn't set?

You are right.  Setting LANG should be all that is needed and I think my
patch should be reverted.

I'm still confused by Niels's issue, though.  Given the screenshot he
showed, LANG should have been set to da_DK.UTF-8, which should show the
weekday in Danish:

$ LANG=da_DK.UTF-8 date +%c
Man  1 Nov 22:41:33 2021

Perhaps the way he launches Emacs inherits a LANG variable already set
to English.  Or there is a wrapper in some custom Emacs NS distribution
that sets LANG to English beforehand.  Anyway, I think it's a
configuration problem somewhere, unrelated to Emacs, that should be
handled by the user overriding the time locale manually:

(setq system-time-locale "da_DK.UTF-8")

WDYT?  Sorry, in retrospective, I think I didn't do the absolutely
correct thing here.