Subject: bug#51321: 29.0.50; date in modelines

From: Filipp Gunbin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2021 17:21:36 +0300

On 01/11/2021 15:33 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Filipp Gunbin <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],  [email-masked],
>>   [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
>> Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2021 16:04:09 +0300
>>
>> In my setup with Engish as preferred language and Russia as region
>> (attaching a screenshot from System Preferences), I'm getting this
>> warning:
>>
>> /opt/local/bin/bash: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale
>> (en_RU.UTF-8): No such file or directory
>>
>> because LC_ALL is now being set to en_RU.UTF-8 (LANG is set explicitly
>> to ru_RU.UTF-8 in my .bash_profile and is thus untouched by Emacs).
>>
>> So maybe we should check that the locale is valid before setting it...
>
> "Valid" in what sense?  Is that locale not installed on your system,
> or are you saying that it cannot exist?

I think in the sense of 'locale -a | grep ru' in this case:

ru_RU.ISO8859-5
ru_RU.CP866
ru_RU.CP1251
ru_RU.UTF-8
ru_RU.KOI8-R
ru_RU

Maybe it could exist, but it doesn't on macOS.

> (And why does the warning come from Bash when it was Emacs who sets
> the locale?)

Forgot to tell - this output shows up when running shell command from
emacs (M-! or similar).

Filipp