Subject: Re: 23.1; Incorrect toolbar icon display with (tool-bar-mode 1)

From: Steve Revilak <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 15:25:19 -0500

>From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>

>Did you compile Emacs with image support?  (You need the image
>development libraries.  The output of `configure' should tell you
>whether they were found.)

Chong,

Thanks for responding to my bug report.  I saved the configure command
line, as well as the summary sectionof configure's output, which I'll
reproduce below.

------------------------------------------------------------------
$ ./configure --with-ns

    [... didn't save this part ...]

Configured for `powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0'.

   Where should the build process find the source code? /Users/srevilak/Desktop/emacs-23.1
   What operating system and machine description files should Emacs use?
         `s/darwin.h' and `m/macppc.h'
   What compiler should emacs be built with?               gcc -g -O2 -Wno-pointer-sign 
   Should Emacs use the GNU version of malloc?             no
     (The GNU allocators don't work with this system configuration.)
   Should Emacs use a relocating allocator for buffers?    no
   Should Emacs use mmap(2) for buffer allocation?         no
   What window system should Emacs use?                    nextstep
   What toolkit should Emacs use?                          none
   Where do we find X Windows header files?                /usr/X11R6/include
   Where do we find X Windows libraries?                   /usr/X11R6/lib
   Does Emacs use -lXaw3d?                                 no
   Does Emacs use -lXpm?                                   no
   Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                                  no
   Does Emacs use -ltiff?                                  no
   Does Emacs use a gif library?                           no 
   Does Emacs use -lpng?                                   no
   Does Emacs use -lrsvg-2?                                no
   Does Emacs use -lgpm?                                   no
   Does Emacs use -ldbus?                                  no
   Does Emacs use -lfreetype?                              no
   Does Emacs use -lm17n-flt?                              no
   Does Emacs use -lotf?                                   no
   Does Emacs use -lxft?                                   no
   Does Emacs use toolkit scroll bars?                     yes

$ make

$ make install
------------------------------------------------------------------

At the time, I was a surprised by the summary (it appeared that Emacs
would be compiled with png, jpeg support), but I went ahead and did
the compilation anyway.  After compiling, I tried to view a few .png
and .jpg files via

   C-x C-f /path/to/image-file RETURN 

The .png and .jpg images displayed correctly, so I assumed that the
supporting libraries had been found.

After poking around Contents/Resources/etc/images, I see that there
are .xpm images for the toolbar (for example,
Contents/Resources/etc/images/help.xpm).  In Emacs 23I tried to open
help.xpm via C-x C-f, and what I see is exactly the same as the help
icon in the toolbar.

I've tried to recompile emacs 23.1.1, explictly requesting xpm
support.

   $ unset CFLAGS CXXFLAGS LDFLAGS
   $ ./configure --with-ns --with-xpm 2>&1 | tee ~/configure.out

Configure declared

   Does Emacs use -lXpm?                                   no

(I'll attach the full configure output).

After "make", and "make install", I repeated my earlier `steps to
reproduce'; I observed no change in behavior -- the toolbar icons are
still black silhouettes (and .png, .jpg image view correctly when
opened via C-x C-f.).

There are xpm libraries and header files installed on my system

   $ ls -l /usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.*
   136 -rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel  136144 Nov  6  2006 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.4.11.dylib
     4 lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel      17 Jun 20 20:56 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.4.dylib@ -> libXpm.4.11.dylib
   180 -rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel  183780 Mar 23  2007 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.a
     4 lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel      17 Jun 20 20:56 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.dylib@ -> libXpm.4.11.dylib

   $ ls -l /usr/X11R6/include/X11/xpm.h 
   16 -r--r--r--   1 root  wheel  16286 Mar 23  2007 /usr/X11R6/include/X11/xpm.h

What else can I try?

Steve Revilak