Subject: Re: [bug#51314] [PATCH v4 05/14] gnu: Add python-zeroconf-0.33.

From: Vinicius Monego <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 20:55:49 +0000

Em seg, 2022-05-30 às 00:00 +0200, Maxime Devos escreveu:
> Vinicius Monego schreef op zo 29-05-2022 om 18:27 [+0000]:
> > +(define-public python-zeroconf-0.33
> > +  (package
> > +    (inherit python-zeroconf)
> > +    (name "python-zeroconf")
> > +    (version "0.33.4")
> 
> To avoid propagation conflicts, would [email-masked] suffice?
> 
> Greetings,
> Maxime.

As mentioned in the cover letter for v4, octoprint hard-checks the
versions of its dependencies and uses pip to download new versions for
the packages it judges the version is incorrect. In the case of
zeroconf there is a notice in setup.py:

https://github.com/OctoPrint/OctoPrint/blob/53b9b6185781c07e8c4744a6e28462e96448f249/setup.py#L67

> "zeroconf>=0.33,<0.34",  # breaking changes can happen on minor
> version increases

The author recognizes that octoprint is not so friendly to packagers:
https://github.com/OctoPrint/OctoPrint/issues/1922#issuecomment-302407764

> It does depend on specific versions of some packages, for the one or
> other reasons, and this is something I do not want not change - I've
> run into too many problems with outdated python libraries provided by
> the system package manager that produced horribly hard to track down
> bugs.

I guess it would be better if Guix users install octoprint in its own
dedicated profile.