Subject: 23.1.50; Re: BibTeX completion via completion-in-region

From: "Roland Winkler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 17:49:36 -0600

Recently (2009-12-03) Stefan changed bibtex-complete-internal so
that now it uses completion-in-region. This results in the following
problem (as discussed already on emacs-devel):

On Sat Dec 5 2009 Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > - The return value of bibtex-complete-internal is used by
> >   bibtex-complete-string-cleanup which displays the expansion of the
> >   BibTeX string. Yet now this message can be hidden by the `Sole
> >   completion' message issued by minibuffer-complete. Here I am
> >   actually not sure what would be the best solution. I like the
> >   message that tells me the expansion of the BibTeX string (I cannot
> >   and will never be able to remember their meanings...). But I also
> >   understand that a "Sole completion' message can be helpful. And I
> >   know for sure that I am annoyed when one of these message is
> >   delayed by the other.
> 
> That's a problem, indeed.  Please bug-report it.

A solution would be that BibTeX mode could set
minibuffer-message-timeout to 0 so that minibuffer-message does not
display its message. Instead bibtex-complete-string-cleanup could
display in one message the expansion of the BibTeX string and
whether this string was a "sole completion" or a "complete, but not
unique" completion.

Roland