Subject: bug#5130: closed (Re: bug#5130: 23.1.50; Re: BibTeX completion via completion-in-region)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2020 15:40:02 +0000

Your bug report

#5130: 23.1.50; Re: BibTeX completion via completion-in-region

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
5130: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=5130
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#5130: 23.1.50; Re: BibTeX completion via completion-in-region
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Cc: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2020 08:39:11 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> (That was over 10 years ago.)
>
> In etc/NEWS for Emacs 27.1, we read:
>
> *** When the minibuffer is active, echo-area messages are displayed at
> the end of the minibuffer instead of hiding the minibuffer by the echo
> area display.  The new user option 'minibuffer-message-clear-timeout'
> controls how messages displayed in this situation are removed from the
> minibuffer.
>
> So I guess that has fixed the above problem?  Are you still able to
> reproduce it using Emacs 27.1?

Email bounced, so I'm going to assume this has been fixed.  I'm
therefore closing this bug report.

If this conclusion is incorrect and this is still an issue, please reply
to this email (use "Reply to all" in your email client) and we can
reopen the bug report.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas

Subject: 23.1.50; Re: BibTeX completion via completion-in-region
From: "Roland Winkler" <[email-masked]>
To: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 17:49:36 -0600

Recently (2009-12-03) Stefan changed bibtex-complete-internal so
that now it uses completion-in-region. This results in the following
problem (as discussed already on emacs-devel):

On Sat Dec 5 2009 Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > - The return value of bibtex-complete-internal is used by
> >   bibtex-complete-string-cleanup which displays the expansion of the
> >   BibTeX string. Yet now this message can be hidden by the `Sole
> >   completion' message issued by minibuffer-complete. Here I am
> >   actually not sure what would be the best solution. I like the
> >   message that tells me the expansion of the BibTeX string (I cannot
> >   and will never be able to remember their meanings...). But I also
> >   understand that a "Sole completion' message can be helpful. And I
> >   know for sure that I am annoyed when one of these message is
> >   delayed by the other.
> 
> That's a problem, indeed.  Please bug-report it.

A solution would be that BibTeX mode could set
minibuffer-message-timeout to 0 so that minibuffer-message does not
display its message. Instead bibtex-complete-string-cleanup could
display in one message the expansion of the BibTeX string and
whether this string was a "sole completion" or a "complete, but not
unique" completion.

Roland