Subject: Re: bug#51297: 28.0.60; [PATCH] Update termcap/terminfo to indicate 16-color support

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2021 16:47:39 -0700

On 11/4/2021 4:20 PM, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> [email-masked] writes:
> 
>> In conclusion, I think we should update the terminfo, changing colors,
>> setab and setaf, and leave term.el unchanged.  Patch attached.
>>
>>  From 158e84e403017d2bfc73d9dabeb44bb3ba48f4dc Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
>> From: =?UTF-8?q?Miha=20Rihtar=C5=A1i=C4=8D?= <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 10:24:19 +0200
>> Subject: [PATCH] Update terminfo to indicate 16-color support.
>>
>> * etc/e/eterm-color.ti: Indicate 16-color support.
>> Do not merge to master.
> 
> I think it's too late to put something like this in emacs-28.  Do I
> understand correctly that it's not needed in Emacs 29?

Correct, there's already a fix for this in Emacs 29 from (I think) 
bug#50806. If it's too late to add this for 28, then I think we can 
close this.

For Emacs 28, the only negative to not merging Miha's patch is that 
users will have to manually update eterm-color (and install it to their 
systems) if they want to be sure their terminfo database correctly 
represents the capabilities in Emacs 28's `term-mode'. That's probably 
not a big deal, and worst-case scenario, some commands might only use 8 
colors instead of 16.