Subject: Re: bug#51297: 28.0.60; [PATCH] Update termcap/terminfo to indicate 16-color support

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 08:53:57 -0700

<[email-masked]> writes:

> That's why I think its best to keep using 'TERM=eterm-color' and simply update
> the terminfo file.  Since all our updates to this file are backwards-compatible,
> there shouldn't be any major problems even if the terminfo database on the ssh
> host isn't up to date.  A problem does arise in the opposite case when the
> terminfo database on the host is up to date but the ssh client is term.el from
> Emacs version 27 or older.  TUI programs will think they can output sequences
> that the older term.el doesn't understand, but I think that term.el handles
> unknown sequences quite gracefully by simply ignoring them.

If they are ignored, I see no problem here.  Someone should perhaps double-check
that this is indeed the case?

> After Emacs-28 is released, we should probably talk to the ncurses maintainer
> about updating the eterm-color terminfo file distributed with the ncurses
> package.  From my understanding, the option I described in the previous
> paragraph is also the proffered way to update terminfo files in the ncurses
> package.

Are there any other terminfo files elsewhere that are worth updating, or
do they generally just base themselves on ncurses?