Subject: bug#51292: 27.2; Reversing strings with unicode combining characters

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 20:51:21 -0700

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> There's something very odd going on with that seach.  If I remove
> "-filename:examples.el", then I get a bunch of matches from files like
> src/gdi/gdiTools.f?  Very odd.

Indeed, the Github search is not working very well.

> https://github.com/search?q=s-reverse+-filename%3As-tests.el&type=Code
>
> But none of the matches on the first few pages refer to the s.el

With that link, I think you need to click the "Emacs Lisp" button to see
them?  I do that and see 2743 matches, but all of them copies of
examples.el from s.el itself.

Ah, on page 10 I see some matches in ensime-completion-util.el, but then
from page 18 or so I start seeing only matches in s.el itself again.  I
didn't go much further, but it doesn't seem to be very popular.  When I
sort by "Recently indexed", I see only matches in s.el again.

(The GitHub user interface is horrible, BTW.)

> s-reverse, so I think the conclusion is the same -- it's not a function
> that's actually used for anything.

I agree.  It was probably added because it is there in Clojure, where it
makes sense as they tend to favour immutable data.  Whereas we just do
`replace-match', etc.