Subject: bug#51271: Typo's in Emacs documentation

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 17:27:52 +0000

Great – I have learned something new.

Thanks Eli for all your work.

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sunday, 14 November 2021 at 19:14
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: bug#51271: Typo's in Emacs documentation
> From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
> CC: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]"
>        <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 16:59:21 +0000
>
> I don’t understand – how can there be many kinds of a singular form? How can there be a few of a singular
> form?

It's a special English form that is relatively rarely used.  But it is
nevertheless correct.

> Where is the comment you’ve added?

In the Texinfo source.  I show it below:

  @c This and the next paragraph say ``kinds of atom'', but that is not
  @c a typo, just slightly ``old-fashioned wording which adds a fillip
  @c of interest to it'', and ``is more elegant writing'', according to
  @c RMS.

As you see, I consulted with Richard Stallman about this issue,
because I had a gut feeling the original wording was correct, but
wasn't sure.  Bob Chassell, who wrote that manual, always used 100%
correct English.